I am a non-native English speaker, I have searched a lot in google to find the exact word for the material which is used to thread Tennis racquets or the material which is used to connect the fishing hook and the fishing rod. But i did not find any. Can anybody tell me what's the exact word for that.?

1 Answer 1


Tennis String

The material used for a long time to string a Tennis racket (racquet is use more in club names than in daily use) is Catgut

Natural gut is still used as a high-performance string in tennis racquets, although it had more popularity in the past and is being displaced by synthetic strings.

Fishing Line

For fishing lines, the materials are more diverse

Modern fishing lines intended for spinning, spin cast, or bait casting reels are almost entirely made from artificial substances, including nylon, polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF, and called fluorocarbon), polyethylene, Dacron and Dyneema (UHMWPE). The most common type is monofilament, made of a single strand.

RE Racket vs Racquet:

At www.wilson.com/en-us/ and www.wilson.com/en-gb/ the word is racket however they sell Wilson racquets AND rackets at amazon


enter image description here


enter image description here

  • This is true, but it might be worth mentioning that, on a tennis racquet, the material is usually just called the string, and, in fishing, it's called the line. So, I'd usually say, "My racquet broke a string," or "My [fishing] line snapped."
    – J.R.
    Sep 6, 2013 at 9:47
  • Done, also mentioned the modern spelling of racket
    – mplungjan
    Sep 6, 2013 at 9:52
  • Is there a bit of a UK/US divide between racquet and racket? grammarist.com/spelling/racket-racquet says the preference for racket is stronger in the US, I would say much stronger, but in a quick search CNN was using racquet.
    – Chris H
    Sep 6, 2013 at 10:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.