Is there a single word to denote a person who watches more movies in free time?
Single word with meaning similar to "Movie Freak"?


3 Answers 3


The word is cinephile or cinemaphile:

Cinephilia is the term used to refer to a passionate interest in cinema, film theory and film criticism. The term is a portmanteau of the words cinema and philia, one of the four ancient Greek words for love.1 A person with a passionate interest in cinema is called a cinephile. [Wikipedia]

From the same article:

In the 1993 film Benny & Joon, actor Johnny Depp portrays Sam, a cinemaphile man who falls in love with a mentally ill woman named Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson).

  • 6
    Also, cineast/cineaste ... The WP page clarifies that while it is synonymous with cinephile in English, in French, "the term refers to a cinephile who is also a filmmaker". Commented Aug 22, 2012 at 12:51

Film Buff is less derogatory than Movie Freak, but it is 2 words. Cinephile meets your criteria.


An aficionado is a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime. Unless it's clear from the context that the person is interested in movies, you would need to modify it with another word: movie aficionado or film aficionado. But it doesn't have the negative connotation of freak.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.