How do I substitute possessive pronouns his/hers/theirs/[name]'s for a royalty/nobility?

Example sentence: Is this Queen Anne's phone? Yes, it is ....

But I don't want to use "Queen Anne's" in the response.

  • Welcome to ELU. I assume the answer you don't want is "Yes, it is hers." Although that's perfectly correct, it's trivial. Could you edit the question to be more specific about the answer you're looking for, please?
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Aug 17, 2021 at 16:03
  • I thought it was clear from the first sentence: "substitute ... his/hers/theirs"
    – MetaIrie
    Commented Aug 17, 2021 at 18:27
  • Royalty are still people, why would you think that normal personal pronouns (with the exception of the 'royal we') don't apply?
    – BoldBen
    Commented Aug 18, 2021 at 4:44

1 Answer 1


You could answer

Yes, it is her Majesty's.

Majesty is used for monarchs. The 's genitive of Majesty is commonly met with in expressions such as:

Like any possessive pronoun, her Majesty's can be used without the noun that refers to the object possessed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.