This is not a duplicate of:

I'm looking for the word which indentifies the group of "Sunrise" and "Sunset". For example "Volvo" and "Ford" could be members of groups called "cars" or "vehicles".

Instinctively I would call the group "Sun times" but I wonder if there is an official word?


I don't think there is a single word for sunrise, sunset, twilight etc.

However, you could say that they are transitions or stages of sunlight/daylight.

Sunrise, sunset, twilight (dawn, dusk, noon etc) are stages of sunlight.



twilight, n.

1. The light diffused by the reflection of the sun's rays from the atmosphere before sunrise, and after sunset; the period during which this prevails between daylight and darkness.

1796 J. Morse American Universal Geography (new ed.) I. 52 The twilight is that faint light which opens the morning by little and little in the east, before the sun rises; and gradually shuts in the evening in the west, after the sun is set.

  • There used to be a comment under the question suggesting Transitional Daylight Times which I would have accepted as an answer if it was Transitional Sun Times but strangely all the comments under the question have disappeared. – WinEunuuchs2Unix Jun 6 '20 at 22:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.