I'm writing a story and the characters have just got to their love confession and I'm trying to think of a specific word to capture their feeling, but I can't remember it.

Character A: "They're not my type. You are." Character B: "Me?" Character A gives B an [insulted] look, "Yes, you."

[Insulted] is where I'm trying to fit the word in.

It's driving me bonkers, because I'm positive there's a word for the feeling of basically being insulted on another's behalf. I've already looked up affronted and indignified, but neither I believe is the correct word.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  • disbelief? chagrin?
    – Jalene
    Jan 11 '20 at 9:17
  • I suggest the question be sent back to Writers. The context suggests picking a rather more generic word to describe the feelings of character A than a word specialised to B having a particular psychological state.
    – Lawrence
    Feb 10 '20 at 6:10

If you really can't think of anything, imagine their expression and describe that (maybe their eyebrows are doing something, or their eyes are bright or sad or their mouth is in a line, ect.) This might not be helpful, but:
Indignant is a good one though (you could say "Character A gave B a look, indignant on his/her behalf. 'Yes, you.'")

  • 1
    Oh! Thank you for the last bit. That is actually a great way to put it. 😊
    – Red
    Jan 28 '20 at 22:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.