enter image description here

I think it's common in geology to show the different minerals and soils, and in construction to show how the elements are fastened, but I can't find the right term.

1 Answer 1


It is a cross section. Merriam-Webster:

1a : a cutting or piece of something cut off at right angles to an axis also : a representation of such a cutting


3 : a composite representation typifying the constituents of a thing in their relations

Here is a cross section of the Earth from USGS. Notice that the section looks as if the Earth were sliced along a vertical axis:

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.