I need a single word for that. Please it’s very important.

1 Answer 1


At universities, professors will go on sabbatical:


3 : a break or change from a normal routine (as of employment)

Typically, this lasts for a year, after which they return to their normal teaching duties.

In more general terms, you can also simply say that somebody is on leave:

[Merriam Webster]

1 b : authorized especially extended absence from duty or employment

However, there is no single word adjective for this that I know of. The closest expression is off duty, but that can be a regular (daily) occurrence rather than a longer absence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.