I'm searching for a word describing the sound of blood drops falling on someone's shoulder. I found some describing the sound of liquids hitting a surface, such as tap, splat, and tuck. I was going for splat but can you give me some other suggestions.

  • 2
    I'd say plop. if there were a steady flow of drops, as with rain, you might use patter - "the raindrops pattered on the kitchen floor through the open window".
    – WS2
    Jul 1, 2018 at 21:27
  • I doubt there would be a sound. When my kitchen faucet drips, I put a dishtowel under the drip. The sound comes when the water droplet lands on the metal of the sink. In this case, there's no metal, enamel or plastic, just skin or cloth. Jul 2, 2018 at 4:25
  • I would say splat/splatter is most appropriate. Jul 2, 2018 at 9:59
  • There's nothing special about blood. The word that works for any kind of liquid would work for blood too. What do you call the sound of a leaky faucet?
    – Mitch
    Jul 2, 2018 at 15:09
  • Thank you for your answers WS2 _ aparente001 _ Mitch. You helped me a lot.
    – vanity
    Jul 2, 2018 at 17:25

1 Answer 1


I would be surprised if a single blood drop made any audible sound hitting something as soft and yielding as human skin, the gentlest of "ticks" on a taut section of fresh perhaps. "Splat" suggests the sound a bucket of blood makes hitting the wall or floor. Repeated drops on the same area, if the person is very still might "plop" as blood falls into pooled blood already lost.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.