Is there a word for the black "mess" between the yellow star and the green exclamation mark? And is there a unicode character/emoji for this symbol?


  • 1
    scribbles, doodles and many other possibilities.
    – NVZ
    Commented Oct 14, 2017 at 8:53
  • 1
    "a squiggle" imo
    – Mark E K
    Commented Oct 14, 2017 at 11:47

1 Answer 1


According to the "Lexicon of Comicana" by Mort Walker (still in print) the non-verbal "emanata" you want to characterize is referred to as a grawlix.

The bubble symbology was popularized by Walker who brought comics and comic strips "Beetle Bailey" and "Hi and Lois" to American newspapers for over 60 years.

Edit: It is artwork. There is no unicode for this glyph/icon/symbol currently AFAIK. At the rate they're being developed, however, it's only a matter of time before it appears if it hasn't already become part of some collection.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.