In the context of golf, what does "rolling draw" mean?

I do not having an example sentence unfortunately, but other words in the same context include Walker Cup, Forecaddies, Niblick, Fairway bunkers, and Greens.

I've tried both Google and Wikipedia without any luck.


A draw in golf is a shot that moves in the direction of the golfer (as opposed to a fade, which moves away from the golfer). For example, in a right-handed golfer, a draw will curve to the golfer's left as he looks down the fairway, while a fade will curve to the right (both deviating from a straight, or linear, trajectory). This also puts some backspin on the ball, which causes it to stop shorter than a fade, which has forward spin. A rolling draw describes a shot with draw that "releases" on impact and rolls forward farther than a normal draw.

5 Golf hit (the ball) so that it travels slightly to the left (for a left-handed player, the right), usually as a result of spin given to the ball: he had to learn to draw the ball—not least for the tee shots at Augusta.
Billiards impart backspin to (the cue ball), making it move backwards after hitting an object ball. [NOAD]

It is useful to note the meaning in billiards, since they derive from the same idea, of putting backspin on a ball.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.