The clip-clopping of the businessman's footsteps against the linoleum floor echoed down the hallway.

Is there a better word I can substitute for "clip-clopping" here?

  • 1
    Why are you dissatisfied with clip-clopping here? To my ear, it sounds fine; without knowing what specific aspects you’d like to improve, it’s hard to suggest a better alternative.
    – PLL
    Jul 28, 2011 at 21:11
  • Hopefully this is helpful ... in my experience linoleum really flattens noises, a surface like stone tile or concrete might be more appropriate. Sorry if this is useless! Jul 28, 2011 at 21:21
  • Clip clop requires a sort of hollowness that you wouldn't get from a woman's shoe or from a workboot. Assuming that's what you want for your businessman, make it a verb: The businessman clip-clopped across the linoleum floor, his footsteps echoing down the hallway. Jul 28, 2011 at 22:08

1 Answer 1


With respect to women's heels, I have also seen clicking and clacking used. As a general term, I have heard clatter used, but only when it was a number of women in heels walking together.

According to the OED, clack is the correct term in this case:

make or cause to make a sharp sound or series of such sounds as a result of a hard object striking another

The OED then goes on to use shoes (specifically, women's heels, but theoretically any shoe would be appropriate here, provided the shoes were hard-soled) in the prepositional phrase featuring the aforementioned word:

He heard the sound of her heels clacking across flagstones.

Finally, Wiktionary notes that this is a sound midway between a click and a clunk.

  • Considering your avatar, not surprising you'd know synonyms for clopping ;)
    – SF.
    Oct 23, 2012 at 18:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.