I am not a native speaker and want to know if "escalation" is the matching word for this:

I get a question from a customer, and I don't know if I am allowed to answer or do it. I want to go to my team leader to ask him if I am allowed to.

I looked at the wikipedia page for "Escalation" and I can't find a matching definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation

How to call "Asking the upper hierarchy for help/advice/permission" in the English language?


Escalate is an appropriate word in current business-speak for this situation.

For example, "I will escalate the issue to my team leader".

enter image description here

Here is a page from the Project Management Institute that has a number of examples of how it is used, but with no definition.


You can simply say that you need to "consult" your senior to check if you can take the task up or not.

  • Yes, I could use "consult". But this does not imply "going to a higher hierarchy level". – guettli May 4 '16 at 14:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.