I want to find a way of saying something like...

[...] I am willing to fund my move to [insert country's name here] myself to make up for [...]

... in a natural way.

I am pretty positive a native English speaker would understand what I mean by 'my move' but I am not sure whether it sounds natural - or even it is correct.

I know many ways of saying similar things in English, such as I am going to move to Ohio or I moved to Canada last year but I don't see how I can put it in a way where the act of moving is a 'noun' (?) so that I can say I'm willing to fund it myself.

  • 3
    Yes it's fine. 'Relocation' is also used in place of 'move'.
    – Marv Mills
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 13:24
  • 1
    You didn’t ask, but unless you’ve got a particular reason for using “fund” (e.g., you’re planning on running a “fund my move” campaign with friends/family/[gullible] internet strangers) you could also consider replacing “fund” with “pay for” (especially with “my move to”) or perhaps “bear/incur the expense/costs of” with the more formal “my relocation to.”
    – Papa Poule
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 14:02
  • 1
    Wow, that's an interesting point. I didn't realize 'fund' means only to raise money to accomplish a goal. Thought it could also mean 'pay for'. I love when ppl point out this sort of mistake, it's a great opportunity for me to learn subtle details about English :) I'll defo replace 'fund' by one of your suggestions. Thank you.
    – user83440
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 14:30
  • 1
    I didn't mean to say that your use of "fund" for "pay for" was a mistake or that it can only mean "raising money." Including "myself" as you did makes it pretty clear that it means "pay for [myself]," just as you thought. Sorry for the confusion! I just thought that "fund" sounded a bit 'weird' & that my suggestions might be a little more 'idiomatic.' You could also consider "finance." Also, to avoid repeating "myself" right after saying "my move/relocation", you could instead add "own" between "my" and "move" and omit "myself": "willing to fund/finance/pay for my own move."
    – Papa Poule
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 15:13
  • Oh I get it now - thanks for pointing it out, really appreciate it. I hadn't noticed the repetition of 'my + myself' - so had not considered using 'own' instead of 'myself' - thanks for pointing this out too. Will update my letter with your suggestions :)
    – user83440
    Commented Jan 8, 2016 at 14:45

2 Answers 2


I am willing to fund my relocation to France in order to facilitate etc...

"Relocation" is a an especially good word to use when you are talking about moving to another place for the purposes of employment.


Examples that I can think of:


I will relocate to country

Informal (North 'Murican way):

I will pull up stakes and go to country


I will move to country

Saying you're going to "move to country" is the most common, most natives, at least in America, say "move to".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.