I'm looking for a word that describes a generic change in altitude, something that could refer to both ascent or descent.

  • 2
    "altitude change" – Oldcat Apr 30 '14 at 17:45
  • 1
    Can you provide more context? An example sentence? – James Kingsbery Apr 30 '14 at 17:54
  • How about "ambiscent"? – Sven Yargs Apr 30 '14 at 18:39
  • Context would help, but "yaw" can be a verb as well as a noun, and could fit. If you're not sure your audience will understand "yaw," you could try "vertical movement/motion". (Yaw refers to movement outside the primary axis of movement, so means vertical movement for an airplane, but not for everything.) – frances Apr 30 '14 at 18:53
  • 1
    @frances My dictionary says that "yaw" is "twist or oscillate about a vertical axis". Pilots use it when they're turning, not changing altitude. Changing the horizontal angle is "pitch". – Barmar May 1 '14 at 16:08

If you really need a single, attested word, maybe consider climbing ?

Though unadorned climbing is usually an ascent, mountaineers climb up and climb down mountains.

Advantages: short, natural, well-attested, easily-understood word. Useful in non-technical contexts, particularly if room for elaboration or qualification is available.

Disadvantages: implicit bias to ascent without qualification: a weakness in a technical context. Would be misunderstood in aeronautics.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.