There is a word, I believe it starts with a 'c', that describes windows whose function is to provide light or create a feeling of openness rather than to see outdoors because they are so high that seeing out of them isn't feasible. Here is a picture of a church containing windows of this type:

enter image description here

Thank you!


2 Answers 2


You are close. You are thinking clerestory.

In architecture, clerestory (/ˈklɪərstɔri/; lit. clear storey, also clearstory, clearstorey, or overstorey) are any high windows above eye level.


  • 1
    Dangit, you could have waited 15 seconds... ;-) Mar 19, 2015 at 13:42
  • Wow, I expected that to take longer! Thank you very much, I've been trying to remember this for a while
    – sirdank
    Mar 19, 2015 at 13:54
  • 3
    Argh, now I'm going to have to start pronouncing it differently. (On the infrequent occasions where I've seen it used, I've always read it as "cle-RESS-to-ree".)
    – Hellion
    Mar 19, 2015 at 15:35

What about Skylight.

noun noun: skylight; plural noun: skylights

a window installed in a roof or ceiling.


  • Thanks, Neil, but I was looking specifically for the word 'clerestory'.
    – sirdank
    Mar 19, 2015 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.