Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering what is the name for the introductory "coughing" in English, i.e. when somebody clears their throat to start their utterance. For example:

"Ekhm... Welcome! How can I help you?"

Is "ekhm" the right way to spell such onomatopoeia? Are there any other ways to spell it?

share|improve this question
These posts about the use of fillers and hedges may be of interest to you. –  Kit Z. Fox Aug 15 '11 at 12:37
What is it called, how do you write it, or what is it? It is called a 'clearing of the throat'. It is written 'ahem'. It is an unvoiced (glottal or laryngeal) nasal. Oh..and it acts as an attention getter. –  Mitch Dec 15 '11 at 20:04

2 Answers 2

up vote 14 down vote accepted

In English, we would most commonly spell this utterance "Ahem." It is used to somewhat politely gain someone's attention.

It can be considered a hedge or filler, that is, a vocal delay that allows the speaker time to collect their thoughts while speaking.

I understood what you meant by "ekhm," but I have never seen it spelled that way. However, I imagine that the spelling of a word like this could be subject to regional differences.

share|improve this answer
thank you for your help! –  Hiena Aug 15 '11 at 13:16

I'd just write:

Cough cough...

But, if you want the "e" version, it's actually:

Ahem! (not "e")

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I simply forgot the spelling. I was looking for "Ahem". –  Hiena Aug 15 '11 at 12:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.