This tag is for questions related to definitions and nuances of meaning of a word or phrase.
Use this tag for questions that are about nuances of meaning and definitions for a word or phrase. For a good, longer explanation of how to write a good meaning question, please read this blog article.
Consider the question check list if your question fits the tag. You can also look at the example questions. If this tag doesn't fit your question have a look below at somehow related tags that might fit your question better.
- Is the question about the meaning of a word or a short phrase?
- Does the question contain the word?
- Does the question clearly describe the concern regarding the meaning?
- Does the question refer to the general meaning out of a specific literary context?
- Why does “Mickey Mouse Operation” refer to a poorly run company?
- “Jane makes over six figures” - how much money does she make?
- In sex talk, how many bases are there and what do they all mean?
Not what you are looking for?
- Use meaning-in-context for questions about the meaning of words or phrases in specific contexts.
- Use etymology for questions that concentrate on the origin of a word or phrase rather than nuances of the meaning.
- Use single-word-requests if you don't know the word you need yet.