New answers tagged

0 votes

Is the verb usage of "ladle" considered verbing?

From ladle to ladle, From verb to verb It was verbing/verbification when it was verbed/verbified. The noun ladle was verbed to the verb ladle long time ago, as early as 1525 per OED1; thus, any use of ...
user avatar
  • 54.4k
3 votes

What do we call minimal pairs (words differ by only a single sound) that have similar meanings?

They are paronyms (see etymology here, if interested). Wikipedia defines them as: Paronyms are words that are pronounced or written in a similar way but which have different lexical meanings. It ...
user avatar
  • 16.2k

Top 50 recent answers are included