This tag is for questions about formal (versus informal) words and usage. The question must identify a particular concern about the formality of the word or phrase at issue, and specify the target context or audience.
Use this tag for questions about the formality of a specific word or phrase. Relevant questions may involve doubts about using certain wordings in a more formal context. The question must identify the target context and a specific concern about a word or phrase's level of formality.
Consult the question check list to determine whether this tag is suitable for your question. You can also look at the example questions. If this tag doesn't fit your question, have a look at related tags (below) that might fit the question better.
- Is the question about the usage of one word or phrase in formal contexts?
- Does the question contain the word or phrase?
- Does the question clearly describe the context in which the word or phrase is to be used?
- Alternatives to "and/or"?
- Using "dear", "darling", or "honey" to address a friend
- Does America have its Versions of U- and Non-U English?
- Which is correct: "prefer X to Y" or "prefer X over Y"?
Not what you are looking for?