Skip to main content

This tag is for questions related to English as used in Great Britain, and sometimes Ireland.

British English is the broad term used mainly by North Americans to distinguish the forms of the English language used in the British Isles from forms used elsewhere.

The Oxford English Dictionary applies the term to

English spoken or written in the British Isles; esp[ecially] the forms of English usual in Great Britain

and reserving the separate term Hiberno-English for the

English language as spoken and written in Ireland.

Others, such as the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary, define it as the

English language as it spoken and written in England.

The European Union uses British English as its standard variety of English.

Also see:

As well as:

And also: