I remember seeing such a word before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'm googling and having no luck.

The classic web comic Pokey the Penguin used this technique quite a bit.

  • 3
    Several terms spring to mind upon viewing the "typography" in Pokey the Penguin. Poor and juvenile seem the most useful. – Fortiter Jan 7 '13 at 23:30
  • 4
    I thought I read somewhere that that was the "lawler weight" ;^) – J.R. Jan 7 '13 at 23:53
  • 1
    All styles on the same word or in the same sentence? – coleopterist Jan 8 '13 at 5:15
  • Either one, I suppose. I'm thinking there's a word for the technique of applying all three styles simultaneously. – DeeDee Jan 8 '13 at 5:19
  • 1
    I'd call it "too bad" or "too much". Possibly "unfortunate". – Charles Jan 8 '13 at 6:46

Bold and italic and underline are all examples of typographical emphasis. Others include (but are not limited to) strikethrough, overlining, changed font and size, capitalisation and letter spacing.

Although bold, italic and underline are the most common, they are not often used in combination, so I don't think there's a special word or phrase for it.

You could refer to it as triple emphasis, or if you need precision, stick with bold, italic and underline.

| improve this answer | |

I'm not sure about the italicized part, but this source calls the kind of balloon and bold and underlined words used to indicate screaming dialogue a burst balloon (in contrast to a radio balloon for more normal dialogue): enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • Very cool info, but not quite what I had in mind. Thanks! – DeeDee Jan 8 '13 at 1:47
  • That simply describes the shape (and meaning) of the balloon, not the emphasis on the font. Note that it even says the balloons are not italicized. – Charles Jan 8 '13 at 6:45
  • @Charles, Yep...I think I said that. I just gave the OP a resource to look over. – JLG Jan 8 '13 at 13:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.