Is there a word to describe the process, or result of the process of, an offended group reclaiming a word for themselves. For example, it is common for gay people to call themselves queers, or sexually liberated women to call themselves sluts, or black people to refer to themselves by various offensive terms.

I seem to remember there is a term for this process. Wikipedia suggests "reappropriation" but I seem to remember there is a more specific term.

  • 1
    Double standard? – jeremy Jan 6 '13 at 5:54
  • Reclaim as in {Take Back the Night / Reclaim the Night}? – user21497 Jan 6 '13 at 6:16
  • 1
    @Nile this isn't a political forum, it is a forum about words and grammar. – Fraser Orr Jan 6 '13 at 6:16
  • 1
    Double standard is a legitimate lexical answer, except that it's two words instead of one. That it's also judgmental is a bonus. :-) – user21497 Jan 6 '13 at 6:18
  • 2
    @BillFranke sorry I don't agree. "Double standard" is a judgement of the legitimacy of the process, it is not a name for the process of reclamation at all. It is consequentially political not linguistical. – Fraser Orr Jan 6 '13 at 7:00

Reappropriation is defintely the best word I've come across for this but there's no term which is commonly used so writing when that 'feminism is a reappropriation', you would probably need to elaborate by stating 'from the pejorative term assigned to women's right acitvists in the 18th century'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation - Supports the use of the term in a specific manner.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.