Is there a single word in English which can replace someone/something who gives shelter or shelter-giving?

I am not only interested in a person who gives shelter but something which gives a sense of shelter e.g. shelter-giving earth.

3 Answers 3


I like sheltering given in another answer. There is also harbour, or harbouring (harbor or harboring) and safe harbour (safe harbor).

  • 1
    Safe harbor or safe harbour can be used, too. Dec 11, 2012 at 23:14
  • @KristinaLopez even better. I'll add it to my answer.
    – JAM
    Dec 11, 2012 at 23:43

A hotelier is someone who provides shelter and lodging.

If you're looking for a more general term, refuge is something that gives shelter.


Why not just sheltering? Use the noun as a verb; it's perfectly appropriate in English.

For example, take a look at this novel and movie title:

The Sheltering Sky

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.