Possible Duplicate:
Is there a correct gender-neutral, singular pronoun (“his” versus “her” versus “their”)?

Is there a generalized way to do this.

Who is it used in modern media (internet, tv, movies, songs), in a colloqial context, (among family and friends), and in a formal environment (work office)

marked as duplicate by MetaEd, Barrie England, Hugo, StoneyB, Matt E. Эллен Dec 6 '12 at 11:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Singular they” (with its inflections) is the pronoun which is genderless and not necessarily singular or plural.

  • There's a statement that "However, “singular they” also enjoys a long history of criticism." (english.stackexchange.com/a/55/14666) – Kris Dec 6 '12 at 6:38
  • And what if I saw someone in a distance but I could not determine if it was a woman or a man? What should I say: I saw a man. or I saw a woman. or I saw a person. or maybe I saw a figure.? – krokoziabla Dec 6 '12 at 8:43
  • 1
    @krokoziabla: You'd say "I saw a person," or "I saw someone." The singular they might work like this: "I saw someone; they were jumping up and down." – J.R. Dec 6 '12 at 9:21
  • @MrLister "They" have done so, repeatedly, but none of the inventions has caught on yet. Hardly surprising, given that it took the better part of four hundred years for English to settle on the set we've got. – StoneyB Dec 6 '12 at 10:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.