I am not sure if there is a kind of stylistic device in below poem sentence.

The king’s horses are purebloods, his barns cut stone; roans, blacks, dapples, bays; the granite reds, greys, blues.

If I understand correctly, the "normal" sequence should be:

The king’s horses are purebloods, roans, blacks, dapples, bays; his barns cut stone, the granite reds, greys, blues.

Is there a name/term for this in poetry?

  • homework questions are against the rules here. Take it up with principles. Jan 19, 2011 at 13:33
  • 3
    Ha, it looks like, but it is not. I just want to know what it is called in English ~
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 13:39
  • @gerry: You could be a little more gracious in asking for help.
    – Robusto
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:13
  • @Robusto: I apologize.
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:23
  • @Rhodri: Yeah. I have checked common stylistic devices, but they all seems different things. Some more famous example may help. But I can't find.
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:44

2 Answers 2


It may be "synchysis". The sources do not entirely agree. Wikipedia and ChangingMindes both give a definition (unreferenced, unfortunately) which is exactly what you are asking, but rhetoric.byu has a more general definition.

(I've never come across the word before, so thanks for asking!)

  • Great! It really is ~ You and your answer, kind and helpful.
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 23:36

You may be thinking of parataxis. Or you may simply be thinking of a grammatical series.

  • This is not what I am looking for. The question is updated now
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:05
  • @gerry: Do you mean subordinate clauses filled with lists, all relating back to an initial subject?
    – Robusto
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:12
  • Yes. I think they are parts of previous sentences, are drawn by the author to impress colors. I don't know if it is common enough to have a name or just specific simplified clauses .
    – gerry
    Jan 19, 2011 at 14:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.