Is skeuomorph the correct word for this situation: I am writing a program which, given a picture of an old internet browser (Mosaic for example), creates a basic yet fully functional internet browser, using the picture as a skin, by overlaying a few native GUI controls over the picture. My goal is to make this object (a modern browser) look old - because I'm a bit nostalgic sometimes.

The ELU website in the 90's renderedin Webview

  • Yes technically correct but few people would know what it meant without wikipedia. – Mitch Nov 19 '12 at 23:25

In the technical sense that you describe, I believe skeuomorphism or skeuomorphic design is the correct terminology. A couple other more industry-neutral words include facade or overlay - for example:

"an 80's retro-facade"

"a Mosaic overlay"

An example of skeuomorphic design would be this Apple bookcase resembling an actual 3-D wooden bookcase:

ibooks library depicted using skeuomorphic design to look like a real wooden bookcase

| improve this answer | |

In architecture and other arts, this is called a pastiche.

| improve this answer | |

It depends what your audience is. The general public would probably prefer something easier on the ear. Perhaps something based on "retro" or "old-school". In search of your branding I suggest concentrating on what it provides, instead of thinking about semantics.

| improve this answer | |
  • It's for an article about metaprogramming. I think the audience consists of programmers. – alecail Nov 19 '12 at 22:26
  • 2
    Samsung Galaxy 7? – user21497 Nov 19 '12 at 22:59
  • @Antoine -- then Kristina answer, skeuomorphism, is defintely the right one. – Malvolio Nov 20 '12 at 3:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.