For instance, when a spoon or ice cube hits a glass of water

3 Answers 3


The word for that sound would likely be onomatopoeic like...

Ping Tinkle Clink Ding

Definition of Onomatopoeia

Onomatopoeia is the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle). However the word Onomatopoeia can also be used to describe the use of such words for rhetorical effect. For example, in the sentence 'The poet Tennyson used onomatopoeia as a linguistic device'.


Depending on the circumstances, I believe it is best to create your own onomatopoeia. I 'd go with something like: "shplink" .


A single light metallic sound, as of a small bell.

You might also be interested in the similar ping, which covers the underwater part (it comes from the noise made by sonar equipment).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.