The word "separator" can be used to describe delimiters which are placed between items. For instance, in this sequence:


The 'b's separate the 'a's.

I'm looking for a word similar to "separator" which can be used to describe delimiters in this sequence:


The 'b's come after each 'a'.

Examples of this are periods after sentences and, in programming, semicolons after statements.

  • 2
    Terminator. Hasta la vista baby!
    – sehe
    Nov 13, 2012 at 11:12
  • 1
    @WillHunting Separators go in-between, the word I'm looking for comes strictly after.
    – Pubby
    Nov 13, 2012 at 11:16

3 Answers 3


I'd say

  • terminator (terminator token, terminator character, terminating punctuation etc.)
  • end marker (end of line, end of input, end of block, end of statement etc.)
  • trailer (trailing token, trailing character, trailing signature (below))

Somewhat more loosely, more appropriate to (binary) file formats, maybe:

  • signature (signature bytes, header signature)
  • marker
  • The problem seems to be that these terms do not suggest the token may also go inside, e.g., terminator obviously occurs at the end -- that's it, whereas a delimiter occurs in the middle of a string, delimiting sub-strings. If we are thinking in terms of the sub-string alone, then it might work, which is not the case here.
    – Kris
    Nov 13, 2012 at 12:54
  • @Kris semantics :) That really depends on how you look at it. To me, it 'ends' a subsequence, so indeed it goes at the end. It's just not the end of the universe, at once.
    – sehe
    Nov 13, 2012 at 15:00

At least in the coding/markup world, Google returns over 90 instances of the two word phrase "terminal delimiter", as in

The first in each pair is the initial delimiter and the second is the terminal delimiter


However, this older version of the join() function also added a terminal delimiter to the end of the sequence


I would think of it as a special case (hyponym) of delimiter.

As we intend to use it exclusively at the end of a string, would it constitute a post-fix?

{(sub-string)(postfix) (sub-string)(postfix) (sub-string)(postfix)}

That will make it a postfix(ed delimiter).

I'm yet to check out if there's already a defined term for this class of delimiter. Might edit in more details if I find any.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.