Is there another word besides "pass" that more accurately specifies the act of two vehicles going past each other in opposite directions, as opposed to overtaking a vehicle going the same direction?

I want to be able unambiguously to explain right-of-way to bicyclists who insist I move to the far edge when I'm walking against the traffic.

  • 4
    If you want to unambiguously explain your right of way to bicyclists, just do what Dustin Hoffman did in Midnight Cowboy: slam your hand on the front of their vehicle and yell, "Hey! I'm walkin' here!" – Robusto Nov 1 '12 at 20:50

You are referring to the act of passing oncoming traffic.

  • The bicyclist shall pass oncoming traffic on the far right.
  • The car almost hit oncoming traffic by moving too close to the center line.

protected by tchrist Aug 19 '16 at 11:25

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.