What's the name of the method of navigation or orienteering in which you sight a landmark in the distance, work your way toward it, and then repeat with another landmark further off?

  • 3
    I have occasionally done this in places that are perhaps not quite as remote as the OP had in mind. It is 'there's the Royal Oak'. When leaving, we climb a hill and say 'there's the Red Lion'. And thus we wend our weary way to our destination. Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 19:28

3 Answers 3


Orienteering is perhaps the word you are looking for. I am told it means running between various checkpoints whose position is defined with greater or lesser precision, and where the runner is entitled to visit them in the order he pleases. I would, sad to say, have no first-hand experience of this.

  • Wictionary says orienteering uses a map and compass: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orienteering Commented Jan 18, 2011 at 5:16
  • Correct. I should have made clear that I want the name of the method of navigation using nothing but distant landmarks, and no maps, compasses, or other aids. --Claude.
    – claude
    Commented Jan 18, 2011 at 16:18

I've always heard that called simply landmark navigation.


Wayfinding maybe? Seems like it might be too general and isn't a sport like orienteering.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.