Possible Duplicate:
One that is holding a conversation

Currently I am trying to develop a mail software and I want to find the right word (if it exists) for people who are in a conversation. It is not contact list or mail list. It should be a word for the people.

So, what is it called in English? Is there any word for these people?

  • You should note that we don't speak of "a [mail] software" in English. See this earlier question Why don't we use the indefinite article with 'software'? – FumbleFingers Nov 1 '12 at 13:11
  • 3
    Umm, this question is NOT a duplicate of the cited question. The title of that question is misleading. If you read the text of the question, that person is asking for a word meaning someone who is good at conversation, i.e. a conversationalist. This question is asking for someone who is participating in a particular conversation. – Jay Nov 1 '12 at 15:51
  • This question brings to mind a general comment on single-word requests: It is not uncommon for such requests to elicit words that meet the definition but that are not commonly used. In many cases, I would prefer to use a word that is vague or broad or "close but not quite" but that my readers are likely to understand rather than an "exact match" that few will have ever heard before, especially if context will make the meaning of the "close but not quite" reasonably clear. Obviously there are judgement calls here. – Jay Nov 1 '12 at 15:55
  • This question should not be reopened. StackExchange prefers to discourage single word requests unless they are quite interesting. And this is, in fact, a duplicate of the older question. The body of the older question agrees with the title: "What's a good word for something or someone who is holding a conversation? Or perhaps a bit broader, someone who knows how to hold a conversation with someone or something." I don't know how Jay jumped to someone who is "good at" conversation. – MetaEd Nov 2 '12 at 22:43

Per existing answers, in practice, participants may be the best fit for OP's exact context.

But more generally, a conversation consists of conversants, language exchanged between the agents, agreements reached by the agents, and a memory that keeps track of all the agreements.

| improve this answer | |

I'd suggest one of:

I must say that I have never heard of dialogists before today. But it fits the bill.

| improve this answer | |
  • 6
    A conversationalist is someone who is good at conversation and dialogist I've never heard of either. I would not use either of those words here. – z7sg Ѫ Oct 31 '12 at 17:57
  • @z7sgѪ Going by the dictionary definition, apparently conversationalist also applies to those who participate in conversations. But, I agree that -ist suggests expert/professional. – coleopterist Oct 31 '12 at 17:59
  • 2
    Participants: good. Could refer to people participating in something other than a conversation, like "participants in the ball game", but works given proper context. Speakers: means people making formal presentations at a conference or meeting, not people who are talking in general. Conversers: not a commonly-used word. I just looked it up and its in the dictionary but its meaning was not quite clear to me. Conversationalists: means people who are good at conversation in general, not participating in one particular conversation. ... – Jay Oct 31 '12 at 18:03
  • 1
    Dialogist: Not a common word. I think it refers more to people speaking in a play or movie than general conversation. Interlocutor: I think this refers more to someone speaking in an official capacity, like the interlocutors in a court case. – Jay Oct 31 '12 at 18:05
  • @Jay Their dictionary definitions all fits the OP's requirements. I've added them in due to the fact that participants does not explicitly indicate people involved in conversation; it's a general term. I think that conversant is another word that fits into this category; I would not equate it with a person taking part in a conversation. – coleopterist Oct 31 '12 at 18:16

I would probably call them "Participants". I don't think there's any specific word used exclusively by e-mail software.

| improve this answer | |

Recipients could work for a mailing program.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.