I'm aware of several species of "giant" insects, such as the Meganeura (giant dragonfly) and the Arthropleura (giant centipede) — but I was wondering if anyone knew of a loose term similar to megafauna/megaflora that described large insects... Megainsecta?

  • 1
    Insects are six-legged arthropods, so maybe you could say "mega-arthropod." (The arthropod phylum also includes arachnids [spiders] and crustaceans [crabs, lobsters, etc.].)
    – JLG
    Oct 23, 2012 at 3:32
  • Not just language, certainly not limited to the English language at all, the answer would fall properly in the domain of taxonomy. Note that taxonomy is a science in its own right.
    – Kris
    Oct 23, 2012 at 5:16
  • 4
    Don’t know how tell you this, but insects happen to be animals. So the answer is still megafauna.
    – tchrist
    Oct 23, 2012 at 11:47

1 Answer 1


Flora and fauna are Latin terms that we currently use to represent plants and wildlife.

The Latin word for insect is insectum (borrowed from a Greek word that meant "to cut into sections"). So my guess would be Megainsectum.

  • +1 As a family/ higher level, it would be the plural megainsect a, though.
    – Kris
    Oct 23, 2012 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.