I have googled but didn't find. "A person who gets interested in anything very quickly and loses interest in it sooner." What is such a person called?


Not necessarily a butterfly mind, but just a butterfly.

butterfly (The Free Dictionary):

2. a person who never settles with one group, interest, or occupation for long

butterfly (MW dictionary):

2 : something that resembles or suggests a butterfly; especially : a person chiefly occupied with the pursuit of pleasure

butterfly (dictionary)

2 a person who flits aimlessly from one interest or group to another: a social butterfly


Such a person is often described as having a butterfly mind.

  • If possible, please add a corroborating link. Oct 14 '12 at 19:15
  • Here are hundreds of butterfly minds, and I doubt many of them are actually inside a butterfly's head. Oct 14 '12 at 20:34

One might describe such a person as a dilettante, in the first sense:-

a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.


Impatient polymath or perfectionist with a short span of attention.

  • 1
    Those are not single words.
    – Drew
    Nov 29 '16 at 21:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.