In French, there is a word erre which is the residual speed of a train, a ship or a car (or whatever is moving and needs propulsion).

For example, if you see a red light in your car, you stop accelerating, but you don't brake either; you just let the car move on its own. You can say that your car is on erre.

For a ship, if you cut the propulsion of the engine, you are on erre.

In a train, it is used if there is a switch of electrical alimentation. For a hundred meters, the train is no longer fed with electric power, and it continues moving with its residual speed. The train is on erre.

What is the best English expression for this?

  • what is a switch of electrical alimentation? Oct 2, 2012 at 16:02
  • alimentation in French means supply. Oct 2, 2012 at 16:26
  • Is it much used? It is in neither my Collins bilingual dictionary, nor in my Larousse Dictionnaire du français d'aujourd'hui. Oct 2, 2012 at 16:27
  • 1
    @BarrieEngland Try this Oct 2, 2012 at 18:37
  • 5
    It is definitely not a used expression. I think 99% of french people doesn't know it's existence! Oct 2, 2012 at 21:59

4 Answers 4


For a car or a train, if you stop using the engine to propel it, you can say that you coast to a stop, or that the train (or car) is coasting. I haven't heard this used for boats (and Googling seems to indicate that if you coast in a boat, it often means that you are following the coastline), but I don't know what term would be used instead.

UPDATE: As Zairja remarks in the comments, for a boat the corresponding verb is drift.

  • 3
    I think in English, for cars and trains, we would use the word coast both for the expression courir sur son erre and for putting the gear in neutral. I don't sail, so I don't know whether the same word is used for boats. Maybe you're looking for the word inertia. Oct 2, 2012 at 15:38
  • 1
    When this occurs on a boat, you can call it drifting or say the boat is adrift ("without motive power and without anchor or mooring").
    – Zairja
    Oct 2, 2012 at 15:53
  • 3
    Coasting in a car does not imply that the gear is in a neutral position. It only means that there is no propulsion. If you let your foot off the accelerator, you are coasting.
    – MetaEd
    Oct 2, 2012 at 16:20
  • 1
    In my mind, a boat that is drifting or adrift is likely not moving at all. I don't really know of a better word for a boat, though, except something more technical like momentum or inertia. (Though inertia could, again, apply equally to something that isn't moving.)
    – Marthaª
    Oct 2, 2012 at 18:57
  • 1
    Google has around the same number of hits for boat drift to a stop and boat coast to a stop, so I think drift works. I don't think adrift does, though; that seems to me to indicate that the boat is at the mercy of the currents and wind. Oct 2, 2012 at 21:57

I think the word you are looking for here is momentum, as in traveling on momentum alone.

momentum n
2. (Physics / General Physics) the impetus of a body resulting from its motion

  • 2
    And the idiom is the unusually long "travelling under its own momentum". "Coasting" saves a lot of keystrokes. Oct 2, 2012 at 17:24
  • 3
    @StoneyB: The OP was looking for an equivalent to on erre. The question was not about how to save keystrokes.
    – Robusto
    Oct 2, 2012 at 17:27
  • @StoneyB The car "continued on momentum" versus "was on erre" or "coasted" isn't that much longer. You could also say something "pushed/moved/kept/went on/by momentum".
    – Zairja
    Oct 2, 2012 at 18:22
  • @Robusto Sorry, I misread your answer as offering "momentum" by itself as the answer. Haste makes embarrassment. Oct 2, 2012 at 18:23

The train is 'traveling under its own inertia':

Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest, or the tendency of an object to resist any change in its motion.

The train is resisting the frictional forces acting on it, and thus slows, but continues without an external driving force acting on it.

  • I don't speak much French, but I do know that the word inertie (= inertia) also exists in French. But perhaps inertie has a different nuance of meaning from inertia in non-technical usage?
    – Pitarou
    Oct 2, 2012 at 23:17
  • Argh, “it’s” => “its”. Oct 3, 2012 at 10:34
  • @KonradRudolph mischief managed Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45
  • 1
    I like this one, simple, can be use in french too, and have the exact same meaning. We can said "the train is on his inertia" as well as "le train est sur son inertie". Oct 3, 2012 at 13:03

You can also consider freewheel:

  1. (of a gear) To continue spinning after disengagement.
  2. (of a cyclist) To ride a bicycle without pedalling, e.g. downhill.
  3. (of a motorist) To operate a motor vehicle which is coasting without power, e.g. downhill.
  4. (by extension) To operate free from constraints.

Wikipedia has a page devoted to this subject:

The condition of a driven shaft spinning faster than its driveshaft exists in most bicycles when the rider holds his or her feet still, no longer pushing the pedals. In a fixed-gear bicycle, without a freewheel, the rear wheel would drive the pedals around.

An analogous condition exists in an automobile with a manual transmission going down hill or any situation where the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, closing the throttle; the wheels want to drive the engine, possibly at a higher RPM.

P.S. The word is more often used in its figurative sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.