I've seen people write (usually in a humorous way) a 'code-like' message where parts of words are replaced with a pictogram that sounds like that word-part. E.G.:

(eyeball) (tin can)(rope knot) get the (hole in ground) (earth) in my head, yet.


I cannot get the whole world in my head, yet.

I once saw this used in a fictional book, and wonder if it has an actual name.

Edit: the answer also helped by re-find this wonderfully imagined race that communicates via rebuses.

  • 1
    Huh. I was going to say this is probably GR, but most of the search terms I tried ("pictures replacing words" and things like that) don't turn up a ton of easily visible results that say "rebus". Interesting. – alcas Sep 14 '12 at 18:36
  • 4
    possible duplicate of What is XLNC an example of? – Hellion Sep 14 '12 at 18:39
  • @Hellion very similar, and thanks for the rebus/grammatagram index in the answer. – New Alexandria Sep 14 '12 at 19:01
  • 3
    @Hellion: having the same answer doesn't necessarily imply that the questions are duplicates of each other. If I were looking at a picture puzzle and trying to figure out what it's called, never in a million years would (or should) it occur to me to check out a question about telegram-style abbreviations. – Marthaª Sep 14 '12 at 20:06

This is called a rebus:

A rebus is an allusional device that uses pictures to represent words or parts of words. It was a favourite form of heraldic expression used in the Middle Ages to denote surnames, for example in its basic form 3 salmon fish to denote the name "Salmon".

Here is an example:

enter image description here

  • 2
    Actually, heraldry that makes a visual pun on the bearer's name is called canting arms. Yes, you could make the argument that a cant is a type of rebus, but it's still not correct to imply that the word "rebus" is widely used in heraldry. – Marthaª Sep 14 '12 at 19:51
  • 4
    Also, where do saw and sore sound at all similar? – Marthaª Sep 14 '12 at 19:53
  • 5
    @Marthaª: In Britain, at least. – TimLymington Sep 14 '12 at 19:56
  • 3
    @Marthaª In most of England, Wales, South Africa, Australia and most of New Zealand, I would not expect to be able to distinguish saw from sore at all. Most Americans, Canadians, Irish and Scottish will pronounce these two words differently. – user16269 Sep 15 '12 at 7:47

It is called a rebus.

a puzzle in which words are represented by combinations of pictures and individual letters; for instance, apex might be represented by a picture of an ape followed by a letter X.

protected by RegDwigнt Sep 14 '12 at 23:32

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.