I'd like to know how I should write on my CV that some courses I've taken were taken online (i.e. on websites, through videos and such) while others were actually taken on an institute/school etc.

For example:

  • Online Education

    • Foo (at example.com)
    • Bar (at somesite.com)
  • (place your suggestion here) education

    • Baz
    • Quux

There's a word in Portuguese which is sometimes used to convey that meaning: presencial. I think it would be possible to use the English word presential with the same meaning, but somehow it doesn't sound so natural.

Could anybody present some possibilities? Thanks in advance.

  • 2
    If there is a commonly used and readily understood term that unambiguously defines that you studied at a bricks-and-mortar classroom, something like as 'Classroom Instruction', you could use it. Else it is essential that you redraft in an unambiguous way. After all, you would not expect the reader to run and get a dictionary in the middle of reading the CV, right? :) – Kris Sep 8 '12 at 13:06
  • If you can revise this question and post it on writersSE, I might want to make a simple suggestion. That would be out of scope on ELU, though. – Kris Sep 8 '12 at 13:06
  • Attended Baz, [years]. Attended Quux, [years]. (those would be their own headings, only Online Ed would have bullet points, or have each of them postfaced with online.) .... attend : "be present at" – Mazura Dec 22 '20 at 5:10
  • I would distinguish between 'On-line, Virtual', 'On-line, Live', and 'In Person, Live'. Note the (old-fashioned, British approach) to hyphenating the compound adjective. On a practical note, it would be entirely possible to be registered at an educational institution, and not attend lectures given live, but listen to recordings made available to students, and then sit the exams which could be via computer ... – Leon Conrad Dec 28 '20 at 10:56

Two terms that can be used are:

  • In residence (or "resident")
  • Face-to-face

The term face-to-face is often used in educational literature (e.g., see this Google result).

  • 2
    @XavierVidalHernández: I've included a link with over 200 million references. Moreover, EL&U has a long history of recognizing concise answers that answer the question, like this answer and this answer, for example. By downvoting based on brevity, you are setting a bad precedent. As per the FAQ, misinformation should be voted down, not succinctness. – J.R. Sep 8 '12 at 12:15
  • 2
    @tchrist: At our school, we differentiate between on-site and in-residence as follows: when the instructor travels to another location, that's on-site training; when the students travel to our school, that's in-residence training – although I'm not prepared to say that those are universally recongnized distinctions. Getting back to the O.P.'s question, the term "on campus" might be useful, too. – J.R. Sep 8 '12 at 12:23
  • 2
    @FelipeAlmeida: For the purposes of your outline, On-premises education could work, as a counterpart for Online education. I'd be more inclined to use On campus if the classes were taken on a college campus, but if they were taken at a corporate learning center, then either On-premises or In residence could work. – J.R. Sep 8 '12 at 12:50
  • 2
    @XavierVidalHernández: "on-premises or in-premises do not make sense in English language!" Oh, really? What makes you say that? – J.R. Sep 8 '12 at 12:58
  • 2
    Yeah. I've definitely heard/read at least one of the alternatives I've given. How can someone offer such an unwavering answer without researching at least a little bit first? – Felipe Sep 8 '12 at 13:03

The term traditional classroom or traditional classroom setting is used in scholarly writing to refer to that mode of content delivery. Other modes of delivery are the online setting and the hybrid setting.


"In-person" is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.