What is the correct term for the panel containing standard indicators such as the altimeter and airspeed indicator in a jet aircraft cockpit? Is it called console or instrument panel, or are both terms equivalent?

From reading on the subject, it looks like console refers to an individual set of instruments (one for pilot, another for co-pilot), but I don't know if this is correct.


I'm looking for the term used by a civilian pilot of a private jet.

  • 3
    "Correct" is going to vary by context. A military speaker? Civilian pilot? A detective inspecting blood stains in a cockpit? The Boeing sales representative? An avionics technician doing maintenance? An aviation engineer? State your context. :) Commented Sep 7, 2012 at 20:31

2 Answers 2


I am a US certificated private pilot, I would call it an "instrument panel" or just "panel". To differentiate pilot and co-pilot controls I would call it the "pilot's cluster" and "co-pilot's cluster", but "panel" could be interchanged with "cluster".

  • 1
    Do you fly jet aircraft as in the OP's question? Commented Sep 8, 2012 at 14:50

On the various pilot blogs I read, "panel" is much more common than "console."

Keep in mind that many planes no longer have discrete instruments such as altimeters, they have multi-function displays that combine several instruments onto one display. (FWIW, the Wikipedia article on Glass Cockpits uses "Instrument panel.")

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.