A polyglot is a person who is fluent in many languages, but what do we call a person who is fluent in only two or three languages?

Is bi-glot a proper term for this?

I don't think the words bilingual / trilingual fit the bill, because I am looking for a -glot word.

  • 9
    Can you please explain why bilingual doesn't work? It's a bit unclear exactly what you're looking for. – simchona Sep 4 '12 at 18:16
  • 4
    Bilingual can be a noun, so it seems to fit fine. – Mark Beadles Sep 4 '12 at 18:21
  • 1
    @XavierVidalHernández OP asked for 2 or 3. – Mark Beadles Sep 4 '12 at 18:24
  • 2
    @MarkBeadles 2 --> bilingual | 3 --> trilingual - A person cannot speak 2 or 3 languages! – Elberich Schneider Sep 4 '12 at 18:26
  • 5
    Multilingual is another possibility, but doesn't exclude the speaker from knowing more than three languages. There is no term I'm aware of that would refer to a group of speakers that are fluent in "only 2 or 3" and this distinction may be too arbitrary to warrant a specific term (at least in common use). It would be like asking for a word for someone fluent in "only six or seven" languages. It's a somewhat arbitrary grouping. – Zairja Sep 4 '12 at 18:30

Bi-glot is wrong, because you’re used the Latin prefix on the Greek suffix.

It should be diglot (also occasionally spelled di-glott in the 19th century), which the OED reports is a noun and an adjective meaning:

Using or containing two languages, bilingual; expressed or written in two languages; also as sb. A diglot book or version (cf. polyglot).

There is also a corresponding triglot for three.

Most diglots and triglots are Bibles, not people.

  • 1
    So biglot would be a diglot word? :) – datageist Sep 4 '12 at 22:19
  • 2
    @datageist No, it would be macaronic. – tchrist Sep 4 '12 at 22:22
  • 1
    di/tri - glot seem to be right . – Gautam Sep 5 '12 at 1:50

Wikipedia opines that polyglot is in fact a valid word in these circumstances, and for a speaker of many languages there is the word hyperpolyglot. It also says that for two languages or three languages, bilingual and trilingual do “fit the bill”. Multilingual fits too, although I think I would prefer to reserve that for more than three languages since there is a word trilingual.

However, -lingual is an adjectival form and you would have to describe someone as being bilingual or a bilingual person. Bilinguist doesn’t really work, and nor does diglot (you would need the Greek di- prefix to use with -glot).

One might coin the words oligoglot or paucilinguist for someone who can speak a few languages, but I don’t think either will catch on.

So if you don't want to use bilingual then you are left with polyglot and multilingual.

  • 2
    Oxford also attests bilingual, n., bilingual person. oaadonline.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/bilingual – MetaEd Sep 4 '12 at 21:49
  • Well of course you can use it as a noun, just as you can use Chinese as a noun. But "three bilinguals walked into a pub"? Surely not. But whatever: I tend to be conservative. – Andrew Leach Sep 4 '12 at 22:06
  • 1
    Actually, yes. Oxford gives as an example the phrase "Spanish/English bilinguals". – MetaEd Sep 4 '12 at 22:16
  • What I meant by my comment was: Dictionaries attest to previous usage (possibly even only a single occasion). They don't necessarily say what is actually widely used in practice, as we are continually being told in this site. I contend that, OUP notwithstanding, bilingual would be distinctly odd as a noun. Perhaps that's another transatlantic difference. – Andrew Leach Sep 5 '12 at 9:19
  • 1
    As someone who lived on the Mexican border for many years, I heard bilingual used as a noun a fair number of times. Its use as an adjective was more common, though. – Zairja Sep 5 '12 at 11:17

"Trilingual": adj. (of a person) speaking three languages fluently (Oxford Dictionary of English).

Merriam-Webster provides a similar definition for "trilingual":

adj. familiar with or able to use three languages

  • 1
    If he is looking for a -glot word, Latin isn't going to do it. – tchrist Sep 4 '12 at 20:58
  • 8
    The OP expressly states, "I don't think the word bilingual fits the bill", and you give him trilingual. Facepalm. – RegDwigнt Sep 4 '12 at 21:17
  • 1
    @ЯegDwight To be fair, from the original question, it wasn't clear whether Gautam was familiar with the term "trilingual" and only afterward did the question explicitly ask for a -glot word. I think it was an attempt to fill in the blank since there is no word for someone who knows "only 2 or 3" languages (a person can either know only 2 or only 3) and the word for someone fluent in two languages was already given. Merriam-Webster and Collins English Dictionary define triglot as "a book or edition in three languages", but it's easy to extend this to speakers. I gave +1 to both answers. – Zairja Sep 5 '12 at 11:30

Poly means many so technically you could use it for >1.

If you only speak 1 language than you are a monoglot.

  • 1
    This doesn't answer the question. The question asks about people who speak exactly two or exactly three languages. – Matt E. Эллен Sep 27 '15 at 23:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.