At the end of some movies, there is a song to be played. Is there any word to call these songs?

As an example "My Heart Will Go On" from Celine Dion at the of Titanic.


4 Answers 4


I think the industry phrase, seen on CD covers and whatnot, is Ending Credits Theme or Closing Titles Theme.

  • 2
    Can you cite examples? "We answers to be supported by facts, references, or specific expertise."
    – MetaEd
    Aug 31, 2012 at 4:42

"Exit Music (For a Film)" is the title of a song by Radiohead that was written for the closing credits of the 1996 film William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. In turn, Exit Music was adopted by Ian Rankin as the title of his last book in the Inspector Rebus series.

So while I'd probably go with @ghoppe's answer for the official industry phrase, the (in my opinion) quite elegant "exit music" does have some cultural currency as well as being descriptive.


I was told that "Outro song" is sometimes used. Oxford Dictionaries has this entry for "outro":

outro NOUN (plural outros) informal The concluding section of a piece of music or a radio or television program: 'the intros, outros, and bridges of various segments'

This definition could easily be extended to apply to music played at the end of a movie.

  • I was surprised that "outro" is in my dictionary. Why not look in yours?
    – GEdgar
    Aug 3, 2016 at 15:09
  • We're looking for long answers that provide explanation and context. A good answer is complete and explains why it is right, ideally with citations. Answers that lack support may be removed. For an introduction to the site, take the Tour. For help writing a good answer, see How to Answer.
    – MetaEd
    Aug 3, 2016 at 18:47
  • 1
    Hi, henry, your original response had the makings of a good answer (because the term you identify is used in situations similar to the one that the questioner asks about), but it offered no definition and no reliable third-party sourcing for the suggested word. I revised it to include a definition from a reputable dictionary (Oxford Dictionaries online), suitably formatted, with a link to the relevant webpage, and a followup comment on why the suggestion may be a good one. You'll get a more positive response to the answers you post at this site if you include similar information in them.
    – Sven Yargs
    Aug 3, 2016 at 19:42

Nowadays: I am producing and composing since over 25 years. In the editing cutting phase, we call it outro. For puplishing reasons it's called credit-theme or closing theme.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.