If I want to speak of North, South, East, West in a general sense I could, for example, use the term cardinal direction.

Which term is appropriate to sum up horizontal and vertical in the same manner?

  • 2
    Can you add more context please? Orientation, direction, extension, and others could or could not work depending on context.
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented Aug 30, 2012 at 11:27
  • @ЯegDwight, thanks for editing. I have objects that are able to move vertically or horizontally within a plane area. I want to remember the status for the current moving object. Since the only states will be horizontal and vertical I need a name which generalizes those two words. I will go for axis or commonaxis in this case, as suggested by Joel Brown in his answer. Thanks for your effort.
    – Aufwind
    Commented Aug 30, 2012 at 11:43

1 Answer 1


Depending on the context, you might use axis or orientation (credit: RegDwight).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.