Is there a specific name or term for words that are the adjective form of nouns? Like "salty" from "salt", "Freudian" from "Freud", "glossy" from "gloss", etc.? What about adjective forms of verbs "loathsome" from "loathe"? Or verb forms of nouns like "to telephone"?

  • Do you mean other than "Derivative Word Forms"?
    – Jim
    Commented Aug 20, 2012 at 0:18
  • I'm so confused... What am I supposed to be doing again?
    – user61909
    Commented Jan 10, 2014 at 18:10

2 Answers 2


From Introduction to the Grammar of English - Rodney D. Huddleston (1984)

The most straightforward type of adjectivalisation involves affixation, as in the formation of heroic.

  • +1 Now there's a word you don't hear every day. This may, in fact, be the only time in my life I will ever hear it. ;-)
    – Jim
    Commented Aug 20, 2012 at 1:10
  • @Jim If you’re lucky, that is.
    – tchrist
    Commented Aug 20, 2012 at 1:33
  • 1
    @Jim: Go on! Indulge yourself! There's also adverbialisation if you fancy getting really down and dirty! Commented Aug 20, 2012 at 1:37
  • Is there a hypernym for those words as well? That would really make my day :)
    – oerkelens
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 19:36

One uses derivational morphology to derive an adjective from a noun, creating derivative forms.

Although you don’t always have to. You can sometimes just use it attributively.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.