Today in my city, it's raining very slowly. What is this called in English?.

I am from India. In Hindi we say 'Rimjhim'. What is it called in English?


2 Answers 2


We use the words "drizzling" or "sprinkling" here.

They both mean "to rain or let fall in fine drops"

If it's very, very light rain, you can use the word "mist". "Drizzling" usually implies a little harder rain than "sprinkling".

  • 6
    British English doesn't use sprinkling as a verb, preferring spitting instead. We may have a sprinkling of light rain, though.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Aug 15, 2012 at 19:29
  • 1
    It's very common in American English. I've never heard "spitting" to describe rain (never been to Britain either).
    – Luke_0
    Commented Aug 15, 2012 at 19:36
  • Spitting is used also in New Zealand. Commented Jan 22, 2017 at 2:18

Have you looked up the synonyms for rain in a thesaurus, like here for example?

The normal answer is sprinkle at first, or maybe drizzle if it persists or is a bit heavier.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.