I'm looking for a word that means "a maker of wind instruments". Something to the same effect as a luthier to stringed instruments.

The local __ fixed the trombone as good as new.

  • 1
    Brass and woodwind are separate categories of instrument. You wouldn't expect there to be a single word for a person with (at least) two distinct sets of skills. Aug 11 '12 at 11:51
  • A "blowhard enabler"?
    – fixer1234
    May 15 '17 at 22:14
  • Your sample sentence has nothing to do with the title of your question. An instrument maker doesn't normally repair them. A trombone isn't a wind instrument. A musical instrument repair technician fixes trombones.
    – Phil Sweet
    Jan 14 '18 at 16:20
  • I've heard the term "Windsmith" used a few times to refer to someone who makes wind instruments, be they brass or woodwind. Not sure that the word actually exists, however.
    – psosuna
    Jan 16 '18 at 18:27

Good question. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is a specific word. Bagpipe players avail themselves of the services of a pipemaker; clarinet players go to a clarinet maker, trumpet players to a trumpet maker, and so on.


A maker of wind instruments, Casey Burns, calls himself an artisan wind instrument maker.

There are several other sites that discuss these craftspersons, such as the book, The Amateur Wind Instrument Maker


I propose ahenoficer for the maker of brass instruments and chalumier (pronounced /ˈʃaly.mje/ from chalumeau, a 12th Century reed pipe) for the maker of woodwinds.

Those with more expertise in Latin and French might correct me.

EDIT a commentator with the disturbing name of Coleopterist urges me to make it explicit that these words are my own coinage; as far as I know, there is no synonym in current use.

FURTHER EDIT: Peter Shor reminds me of the Gallic inability to pronounce the last letter in any word and that /ʃalyˈmjɛʁ/ would only be the correct pronunciation for chalumière, a distaff maker of woodwinds. Corrected.

  • If you're saying that there's no existing word for "a maker of wind instruments", please add that to your answer :) Aug 11 '12 at 5:36
  • 1
    I agree with @coleopterist. I think the O.P. was looking for an existing word, not asking us to make one up. (Neither of these are in any dictionary I checked, including the OED.) "I propose" perhaps suggests these are made up words, but only subtly.
    – J.R.
    Aug 11 '12 at 8:04
  • That's not how you would pronounce chalumier in French. It'd be /ʃalyˈmje/, pronounced with the same ending as boucher (butcher) and boulanger (baker), and chandelier (candlestick maker). And if it were a female maker of wind instruments, it would be chalumière, pronounced /ʃalyˈmjɛʁ/, to go with boulangère, etc. Jan 14 '18 at 17:48

I'm currently researching people who build unusual instruments for my PhD, and so far I haven't found any other word for "instrument builder" as widespread and popular as "luthier", or the "______ maker" for each specific instrument, neither in English nor in Portuguese or French, for that matter.

I have stumbled across the word "tambourier" for a drum maker, but am not sure whether it's actually used. Feeling Musique, a well-established wind instrument shop in Paris, for instance, uses "Luthier of wind instruments" as a term for the professionals who do this type of work.


A reedmaker makes wind instruments.

Links: http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/q-r.html




Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.