What's that embossed or raised part of an arc or arch called? I am looking for the upper part of the shape, which is kind of raised and forms a mini circle.

enter image description here

  • 3
    Do you mean an arc like the geometric shape? Or an arch, like the Arc de Triomphe?
    – simchona
    Aug 5 '12 at 23:55
  • 1
    IF you mean an arch, you may be referring to the keystone. However, any embossment would be purely decorative and not an integral part of the keystone.
    – Jim
    Aug 6 '12 at 0:36
  • You mean the arched part of the arch?
    – The Photon
    Aug 6 '12 at 5:56
  • @ThePhoton- Yea, but only the upper side of it. Not the whole curve.
    – Noah
    Aug 6 '12 at 5:57
  • 2
    I think this question can safely be labeled Noah's Arc :)) Aug 6 '12 at 7:14

I don't see a "circular" bit at the top of the arch in the OP's picture.

The parts of the arch are:

  • The absolute top of the arch is the apex.
  • The curve at the top of the arch is known as the crown.
  • The point at which the curve begins is the springing or spring-line.
  • The curve between the springing and the crown is known as the haunch.
  • The inner curve of the arch is the intrados.
  • The outer curve is the extrados.
  • The arch itself is made of sections called voussoirs. So the crown and the haunch are made of a number of voussoirs.

Perhaps ogive, of which wikipedia says:

An ogive (/ˈoʊdʒaɪv/OH-jyv) is the roundly tapered end of a two-dimensional or three-dimensional object.

Later, the wikipedia article on ogives distinguishes between "spitzer ogives" and "elliptical ogives". A Gothic arch typically is a spitzer ogive, while the Gateway Arch illustrated in the question is a "weighted or flattened" catenary arch. A catenary, wikipedia says, is "superficially similar in appearance to a parabola (though mathematically quite different)". At certain magnifications, portions of parabolas, ellipses, and catenaries look much alike, and I think the top of the Gateway Arch looks a lot like an elliptical ogive.

Wiktionary lists several senses of ogive, including "A Gothic pointed arch, or a rib of a Gothic vault" and "(ballistics) The pointed, curved nose of a bullet, missile, or rocket".

You may also find terms like the following of interest: archivolt (or voussure), "an ornamental molding or band following the curve on the underside of an arch"; spandrel; intrados, "inner curve of an arch or vault"; voussoir, "a wedge-shaped element, typically a stone, used in building an arch or vault". See nomenclature in first diagram in wikipedia arch article.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.