I want to call this a "roundabout". But, in Britain anyway, a "roundabout" is much larger with bars on it to sit on (as demonstrated by a Google images search for "playground roundabout").

They're a fairly new addition to playgrounds, I think. They certainly didn't exist when I was a kid.

But what are they actually called?

enter image description here

  • 1
    That does remind me of a top: "a child's toy that spins on a point when it is turned round very quickly by hand or by a string"
    – Em1
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:11
  • 5
    It looks like a variation on a teacup.
    – TecBrat
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25
  • I hadn't ever seen that in my country. I'm wondering if there is a coaxial rotor under the ground which can move it dinamically.
    – user19148
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 10:55
  • 2
    @Carlo No, it's all manual. (We're in recession over here!)
    – Urbycoz
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 11:41
  • 2
    A Vomit Inducer 3000 maybe?
    – Josh
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 12:15

5 Answers 5


Did you get the picture from here?

It's called an "Inclusive Spinning Dish" or a "Dish Roundabout"

  • I just did image searches till I found one. Looks like the same one though.
    – Urbycoz
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:52
  • 8
    I can just imagine five-year-olds at recess, "Let's go play on the inclusive spinning dish!" Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 12:51
  • 5
    @root45 Well, the equipment does include a spinning dish ... I see no problem with calling swings "inclusive damped oscillatory pendulum" Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 13:40

I would probably call it a "cup" or "spinning cup", and I most people would understand, if they had seen it.


I can't see any reason to call it anything different from the manufacturers (linked elsewhere here) who describe it as a Spinning Dish. The additional attribute of 'inclusive' seems to be more of an advertising adjective.


It is called a spring rider -- the thing on top, in that it is a dish is almost incidental to the underlying type of ride.

  • Most spring riders don't spin. Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 15:26
  • I don't see how that spins -- it seems to bend at all angles. Is there something in this which states that it spins independently of the bendability? on a spring rider, you can effectively spn by bending in a circular motion. Looking at the website, i see that they claim it spins on an axis, but don't claim any central spring so what is the source of the "give" evidenced in the photo.
    – rosends
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 15:29
  • if it simply spins, then it is a form of a carousel, raised a bit playground-usa.com/SpringRider/big/mpl001b.jpg
    – rosends
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 15:33
  • 1
    If you believe the advertising, it rocks and spins. So it's a spring rider and roundabout. Here's another brand. Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 15:59
  • @PeterShor: I thought it was a spring rider as well, but those who have actually let their kids play on the thing insist that it's primarily a spinning apparatus, even if it does rock a little bit. Maybe we need to organize a field trip where we can all convene and discuss. I'd love to spin it around with Barrie England in there! :^)
    – J.R.
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 21:42

a carousel. As kids we used to call it a puke-o-matic :) but I would be unable to say how widely used that term is.


A dictionary lookup later: It may also be called a roundabout as you yourself suggest.

  • 3
    Aren't carousels those large merry-go-rounds with horses to sit on? Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:23
  • Carousel is a great word, but it has such a variety of meanings. I think you are both right. Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:29
  • I think, if you said it, people would be likely to misunderstand. I don't see one on here: google.co.uk/…
    – Urbycoz
    Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:54
  • @Urbycoz Yes, that is what I was referring to ... Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 9:58
  • 2
    When used for playground equipment, carousel, merry-go-round and roundabout are all synonyms. The OP wants a different word that is more specific to this . Commented Aug 3, 2012 at 11:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.