We can usually find this structure at kids playgrounds. I want to know what it's called.

I've searched online but couldn't figure it out but fortunately found the image below.

a freestanding spiral slide

  • 2
    If you found the image here, then the caption says it all: "360 Spiral Slide". The file is also similarly named. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:29

4 Answers 4


As others have said, that is a picture of a spiral slide.

I only wanted to point out that there would be nothing wrong with calling it a slide either. If my daughter said, "Daddy, can I go play on the slide?" I would certainly not correct her with, "That's not a slide, that's a vortex slide." However, if I was a park manager wanting to order a slide like that one for my playground, I wouldn't ask to order a slide, but I would specify that I wanted a plastic spiral slide.

Slides come in many variations, including spiral slides, tube slides, indoor slides, playground slides, pools slides and water slides.

enter image description here

  • +1 Due to their clarity, I love answers supported with pictures.
    – user19148
    Jul 22, 2012 at 11:40
  • Let's not forget carpet slides. :) Jul 23, 2012 at 2:32

It looks like a spiral slide to me.


If you wanted to order one for your own garden, then spiral slide is obviously the right term.

As far as children's names for such a thing are concerned, as well as "slide" it could easily be a helter-skelter because of its similarity to the fairground attraction (which are usually a lot larger!)

Helter-skelter attraction at a fairground

Image from http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Album/Village-Fete.htm

  • Helter-skelter appears as holterdipolter (if I remember correctly) in German and ulta-palta in Hindi. Jul 31, 2012 at 21:26

I would also call it a spiral slide. Alternative would be a corkscrew slide http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corkscrew+OR+spiral+slide

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.