The word "there" indicates a point in space, and the word "then" indicates a point in time. Is there a word that indicates a point in spacetime, equal in meaning to "there and then"?

  • You might be able to bend instance or occasion to such meaning. Jul 21, 2012 at 5:23

3 Answers 3


I don't think we have a word like that. I would rather use the phrase 'there and then', though I cannot think of a scenario where you would need that. Can you give me some more context here?

  • Something like, "Great! I'll meet you then and there." We'd like to use a single word instead the phrase. I don't think such a word exists. Feb 27, 2018 at 20:12
  • It sounds as if you are wishing it to mean "I'll meet you at the appointed time and place"? Which could be shortened to I'll meet you at the appointment? Failing that, you could make up a word. I can't think of any which already exist.
    – mtugglet
    Mar 3, 2020 at 18:03

Immediate may be what you are looking for. Immediate carries the sense of both space and time.

Forthwith is another word (adverb) which means the same as immediately.

  • "Immediate" is a word that has two separate meanings of "now" (as in "immediate results"), and "here" (as in "immediate surroundings"). And I've never heard the word "forthwith" used in a spacial sense. Neither mean "then". Jul 20, 2012 at 20:46
  • @MatthewPiziak: "Immediate aftermath" stands for then, don't you think?
    – Bravo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 6:22
  • @Shyam; no, it means 'immediately after then'. Jul 27, 2012 at 22:33

In physics, a point in space-time is known as an event.

(and a series of events is known as the world line)

My guess for a term which isn't jargon would be something like "spatiotemporal position" or "spatiotemporal coordinates". While I can't access its definition, "Temporospatial" also exists and is probably a synonym.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.