I'm not sure about the plural form of immovable (immovables). By the way, is "immovable" a word that English speakers use when referring to "real estates, properties etc."?

2 Answers 2


"Immovable" (short for "immovable property"), as a noun, is a civil law term used to speak of property that cannot be moved or carried away, such as real estate. Moveable property, on the other hand, can be moved freely (think of cars, computers, et cetera).

As an example of its plural form, "We prepared a list of all moveables in the sale agreement."

See http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/395173/movable-and-immovable

  • 3
    I assume this comes from the French word immeuble; I believe it's strictly a legal term and not in general use. Jul 20, 2012 at 14:53
  • @Peter Shor: I'm not sure how common immeuble is, but given that meubles is the standard wharehouse/shop sign for places selling the "moveable" stuff that goes inside buildings (basically, furniture), I doubt any French person would have a problem with the word in terms of meaning. Jul 20, 2012 at 18:25
  • I meant immovable is a legal term, that it was translated from French to use in legal contexts (since English didn't have a word meaning exactly the same thing) and has only ever been used in law. My impression is that immeuble is reasonably common in French, but I don't know French well enough to say for sure. Jul 21, 2012 at 12:03

In the U.S., at least, the conventional term is "real property", as opposed to "personal property", which can be moved.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.