Politics is to politician as law is to what?

A hypernym for lawyer/judge/law student, etc.

Edit: Not only in the legal system, anyone practicing or researching the subject. Maybe politics wasn't the best example.

  • 4
    legal practitioner perhaps?
    – user16269
    Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 7:53
  • 2
    This may vary from country to country. In Britain the generic word is 'lawyer'. Alternatively 'a member of the legal profession'. Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 8:02
  • Can you analogise what you are looking for? Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 8:57
  • @coleopterist, I'm having a hard time finding one. Maybe trying to sum "law expert" into one word.
    – JNF
    Commented Jul 22, 2012 at 5:58

3 Answers 3


The Bar usually refers to "lawyers or the legal profession" (see noun sense 14 in wiktionary) but I've occasionally seen it applied to the judiciary as well. (The judiciary is "The court system and judges considered collectively, the judicial branch of government".)

  • Sense 14 rather than 13. Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 8:22
  • 1
    That will absolutely not work in England and Wales (and I think Scotland, though I'm not certain), where the Bar (barristers) is one of two quite separate branches of the legal profession, the other being solicitors.
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 10:18
  • 1
    When you become a judge, you move from the Bar to the Bench. I'd say the legal profession is closest; strictly speaking you aren't a professional until qualified, but it can be understood more loosely. Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 10:19
  • The Bar will not cover law students, paraplegals or researchers, and is usually used to refer to a particular level of court or jurisdiction.
    – bib
    Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 12:09
  • 3
    If I could type, I would have had an honest job and not ended up as a lawyer
    – bib
    Commented Jul 20, 2012 at 20:00

I'd generally say legal professionals.


Some of my law textbooks referred to such people as Jurisprudents:
— adj 1. skilled in jurisprudence or versed in the principles of law

— n 2. a jurisprudent person

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.