I've looked up in the dictionary and didn't find a noun form of the word disjoint. What is the word if I want to mean the fact that 2 things are disjointed?


Disjointedness is the noun form of disjoint, and means the quality of being disjoint. If you're asking for a noun that applies to objects that are themselves disjoint, I think you're out of luck, and disjoint things is as close as you can get.

  • Thank you. I didn't realize it can be converted first to disjointed, but is there any difference between disjoint and disjointed? I think disjoint can be used as an adjective itself – weidi Jul 17 '12 at 15:02
  • I don't perceive a difference between disjoint and disjointed. Some dictionaries seem to say that the adjective disjoint is now only used in mathematics and related fields, and disjointed is the correct adjective for other uses. But the noun is disjointedness for both adjectives. – Peter Shor Jul 17 '12 at 15:07
  • Actually I use it in something related to maths. I use it to mean two shapes don't intersect. – weidi Jul 17 '12 at 15:28

Disjointed is the adjective used to describe something that is lacking a coherent sequence or connection.


  • In reply to the comment on the below answer. Disjoint as an adjective: An element can be disjoint of two or more sets, meaning having nothing in common. It can also be used as a verb meaning to disturb the organization of. – David Watts Jul 17 '12 at 15:08
  • I do want to mean that 2 things have nothing in common. Actually I'm using it to mean that two geometric shapes don't intersect, so I wonder if either disjointed or disjointedness would be improper in my case since I don't want to mean some order is disturbed – weidi Jul 17 '12 at 15:26
  • According to Thesaurus.com Divide is a synonym of intersect and an synonym of that is disjoin which is a verb that means to become seperated. From what you have said, and what I have read, two things can be Disjoint from one another. – David Watts Jul 17 '12 at 15:38
  • Perhaps I didn't say clear. My ultimate goal is to find a noun to express the meaning of two shapes not intersecting. Do you think disjointedness is proper or any other suggestion ? – weidi Jul 17 '12 at 15:50

The OED gives the noun disjoint as an obsolete word meaning A disjointed or out-of-joint condition; a position of perplexity or difficulty; a dilemma, ‘fix’. The adjective disjointed is given with these three definitions:

  1. Separated joint from joint; disjoined, separated; disconnected.
  2. Consisting of separated or ill-connected parts; disconnected.
  3. Of words or a discourse: Without proper connection or sequence; disconnected; incoherent.

As an American English speaker, I would understand if you told me, "these two figures are non-intersecting." You could also tell me they are not connected or independent of one another. To say they are disjointed implies to me that for each figure. The angles are 'akimbo' or poorly connected/structured. To say that anything is 'disjoint' sounds very odd to me, but it sounds like this fits among mathematicians.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.